Friday, March 21, 2014

Endurance History: 2007 AERC Ride Highlights Part 1 Death Valley Encounter and Why I love XP Rides

 
 
 I did a lot of AERC competitions in 2007.  13 starts and 13 finishes, including two 100 mile endurance rides. I will be writing a few posts about my endurance riding experiences from this year.
Part I
12/30/06 Death Valley Encounter 50 (Day 3)
12/31/06 Death Valley Encounter 50 (Day 4)

Part II
2/3/07  Twenty Mule Team 65
2/17/07  Eastern Mojave Scenic Pioneer 50 (Day 1)
2/18/07  Eastern Mojave Scenic Pioneer 50 (Day 2)
3/07  AERC convention in Reno, NV.
3/17/07  Rides of March 50
4/7/07    Square Nail 50
5/12/07 Washoe Valley I 50
5/13/07  Washoe Valley II 50

Part III
 6/07   Tevis Educational Ride
7/28/07  Western States Endurance Ride (Tevis) 100
9/15/07  Virginia City 100
10/20/07 High Desert I 50
10/21/07 High Desert II 50

I have absolutely no photos that I took this year. 

12/30/06 and 12/31/06, Death Valley Encounter 50, days 3 and 4: 
The first time experiencing an XP ride and meeting Dave (the Duck) and Ann Nicholson,
And Why I Love XP Rides.
 
The Death Valley Encounter is one of the many XP rides put on by Dave Nicholson and his wife, Ann.  They are my favorite managed rides besides Tevis, and a few others. Dave is the head vet and head honcho.  Ann is the manager.  When I first met Dave, I was a little scared.  It was not so much when I did the pre-vet in, but the next day on the first vet check.  This was only my 5th AERC competition, and I was used to the vet cards being filled out with the vets giving my horse a "grade" of A's or B's.  It does not work that way with Dave.  After my first vet check experience with Dave, he commented something like "he's OK",  and that is what is marked on the vet card.  When I left from the lunch hold, I remember commenting to someone that I was worried that my horse was only "OK".  The person reassured me that that response was good/normal.  Your horse with Dave is either going to be "OK", or he's going to say something like, "I've got to talk to you about your horse".  After riding the two days of this ride, I decided that I thought that Dave was OK too. 
 
Dave is OK, but Ann is great!  She is so personable and positive and helpful and nice!  I have done many XP rides, and after this first ride, Dave and Ann remembered me.  They remembered my name!  They pretty much remember most riders names it seems.  I think when Dave remembers me, he is probably thinking something like, "Jennifer, that rider who rides her horse too fast."

Dave is actually more than OK.  I have learned a lot from him in what he wants XP riders to know and use, which is that we (riders) are responsible for our horses-not the vets, at rides.  Know your horse.  Know the indicators of when you need to slow down, etc.  Dave encourages riders to be better horseman and horsewoman.   I am fortunate to of gotten involved in XP rides with Dave and Ann from the beginning of my AERC endurance education.
 
Here are some of the reasons why I love XP rides:
1.   I have met most of my favorite AERC riders/friends on these rides.
2.   I especially love that the majority of the rides (that I have done) are one big loop with the vet check/lunch hold half way out.  This is my favorite type of ride, along with point to point.  Some rides come back to base camp for the vet check/lunch hold and then the second loop is different trail, but it is usually not more than 2 loops total with one vet check/lunch hold during the ride. 
3.  The atmosphere is very casual.  There is an emphasis in riding versus racing.  At the starts of the XP rides that I have done, we are all walking!  There are very few pulls on XP rides because most riders are riding conservatively. 
4.   The trails/rides are located in scenic, beautiful, historical places.


I rode the last 2 days of the Death Valley Encounter due to the fact that these were the only days I could ride due to work.  This is one of my favorite rides, and the only reason I have not done it every year since 2006 is either work related, or if my horse was injured.  It is only approximately 3 1/2 hours from where I board my horse in Bishop, CA., and the weather is usually pleasant in D.V. this time of the year (not always!).  There is also a great dinner provided on the last night, which is New Year's Eve, and then the awards for the four day competitors are awarded.  Then the party continues on until midnight to celebrate New Year's Eve for those that want to stay up that late. 

Here are some very good links regarding XP rides:

No comments:

Post a Comment